Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Too Much Milk?

Today I learned that your milk is NOT supposed to spray out of your nipples, you really shouldnt have much leaking between nursings, and green, blood streaked poop is not ALWAYS caused by a food allergy.  All are also signs of too much milk.  Here I sit worried I dont have enough, and I have TOO MUCH!  LLL calls it "over enthusiastic" breasts.  Lovely.  I knew I had a strong let down reflex, but I had no idea that it was a sign of over production.  I reacted the same way when Luke nursed, but because he ate sooo much, it never bothered him.  He took the extra fore milk AND the hind milk.  Poor Daniel's problem is that he's getting too much fore milk...it contains the sugary Lactose...which can cause the gassyness, upset tummy, green poop, and after it builds up in the intestines, blood streaked stools.  All are also signs of a food allergy, but we have already went through the steps to rule Dairy as a DEF. allergy.  Today I KNOW I ate nothing with dairy and we are still having some really nasty diapers, blood streaks, and he's broke out in his diaper area.  All thanks to the lovely Lactose.

So how is this problem fixed?  Most women are looking to increase, I need to decrease....Kellymom.com suggests nursing one side per feeding.  Ok, I do that.  The next step is to nurse one side for TWO feedings then switch.  We are going to start that tomorrow and see how it goes.  I'm just thankful the bloody poo is nothing more serious than a little extra milk.

2 comments:

Holly said...

Do you have a pump Betty? You could always pump the extra and donate to a family who needs it. I know my friend April who has hyperlaction has donated over 25 gallons of milk.

Betty said...

I do have a pump, but was told that it would just make the problem worse...signaling my body to make more. And the real issue would be that I absolutly cannot get milk out with a pump. Seriously. I've tried it with both boys and I never get more than an ounce.

Post a Comment

Listen to MamaJax2010s Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones