Monday, December 6, 2010

The Shack

Landon's dad gave us a copy of The Shack a year or so ago and I really enjoyed it!  It was such a great book.  Since we lost Nessa I have started reading it again, and it is like reading a whole new book.  It's odd how events can change your way of seeing things.  I think every one who looses a child should take the time to read it...even those who havent would benefit from reading it.  This is a rather long review of the book, but it covers the faults in the authors theology, while at the same time being fair to the message the book is trying to convey.  I think a lot of the reviews are unfair in the sense that the author says things that people reading may be thinking or questioning...and reviewers see it as him undermining religious teachings.  The main character in this book has some serious "God" issues, and having lost a child myself, I can see why.  I was angry at this book the first time I read it.  I like it, but there was so much about it I disagreed with...little things that stood out as "not right."  After loosing Vanessa I found myself feeling just like the main character and asking the same characters.  NOTHING I had ever been taught really prepared me for what I was experiencing, but the book explained things in a way that I got.  I finally understood.  It sort of clicked.


Pick it up and see for yourself...let me know what YOU think about it.  Does it set off alarms or answer questions?  Personally, I would love to lay on a dock with Jesus and look at the stars :)

3 comments:

Lilly's Mom (Desiree) said...

I just read it a few months back. :) You can find my post & opinion of it on my blog.
www.lilliansmommy.blogspot.com

I loved it!

Betty said...

I agree with you...it's a little weird to wrap your head around, but so good and hard to put down! It's really helped me shift through my issues with God that I developed when Nessa left us. LOVE IT!

Holly said...

I really enjoyed the book. And I agree Betty that you get a diff perspective on it after you have lost a child like the character in the book has.

Post a Comment

Listen to MamaJax2010s Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones