Sunday, March 6, 2011

Wait, I think you're missing one....

I have been thinking about this post for awhile and am finally getting around to posting it.  Holly recently had a similar experience and reminded me of what happened.  All of you Baby Lost momma's know there is one question you dread more than any other...THE question.  Not the ultimate question...42 is too easy of an answer to spit out.  LoL.  I'm talking about the much feared, "How many children do you have?"  Recently this has taken the form of some variation of, "So how many does this make for you?"  *sigh*  Normally I just say it's my second.  I know the easy way is not always the right way, but I just get so tired of it.  This time it was a little different.  Here's what happened...

I went up to get my mail last week and our neighbor, who's daughter is expecting in June, was just leaving her driveway.  She had her husband stop and rolled down the window.  I was expecting the, "Oh, my!  Not much longer!"  comments.  Sure enough, they came.  I smiled and was happy to answer.  We are getting so close!  Luke was just getting out of our car in the drive way and heading to the house with his book bag when she asked me, "so this makes 2 for you now?"  Ugh.  There it was.  I smiled and really just wanted to confuse her because I was annoyed that she asked me, but she didnt know.  "No. This is my third."  The look on her face was priceless as she scanned the yard, looked at me like I had forgotten something, and then I seen her mentally tick through the years...none of which she had EVER seen another child in the yard.  I was starting to get uncomfortable....wondering if she was going to ask where the other went....when she smiled at me and said, "That's so wonderful!  Do you think you'll try for number 4?!"  I was floored.  No one had ever had that response before.  It made me feel good that she had not, verbally at least, negated my Nessa's existence, and I was very impressed that she was able to hide her surprise and know that something had happened along the way to make one of my children disappear from my life.  For all I know she prolly thinks I had one even earlier than Luke and gave it up, but she still didnt ask.  She just happily went on with the conversation.  I was so thankful that, for once, I didnt walk away from that question depressed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Listen to MamaJax2010s Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones