Monday, January 17, 2011

Geocaching Stones

I just had this awesome idea...I need to write it down before I forget so here it is..Lol!

I was just reading about Calypso and looking at her name photos when I came across the one from Treasure Beans.  "What a beautiful stone," I thought to myself.  LoL....then I was reading about how you can order then and the photograph them in your own favorite places...Hmmmm.  We dont have the money to order one, but I'm rather crafty...why not make one?  But take it to OUR favorite places?  Now this is just God working all over, people.  I have to tell you about a hobby Landon and I have.....

We are cachers.  We geocache.  It's a high tech hide and seek/treasure hunt game...some of you might have heard of it...if you follow me long enough you will find out I'm obsessed with it.  Recently at the blog highlighted above they ran an article about a couple who took a stuffed sheep and had it's picture taken at every cache they found.  People loved the sheep and couldnt wait until the sheep came to find THEIR geocache.  "Very cool," I thought, "would be a fun thing to do."  No idea what to use, but it was cute.

While I was pregnant with Vanessa we geocached our hearts out.  After she was gone it was our outlet.  We got out of the house and for a few hours it was just us, the road, a GPS, and a cache to find.  On our stats page our most active months EVER of caching are last March through May.  After that there is a real drop where I got really depressed and just mowed the yard.  LoL.  But for a small window of time it was what we did with Vanessa...that was our thing with her.  I have NOTHING else that stands out from that time other than pain....geocaching was my escape.

So back to the stone.  After May I just couldnt cache anymore.  She was gone and it was starting to remind me of her because we had done so much of it.  Lately the bug has hit me again to go out, but that may just be from being cooped up all winter too.  But what if I could take her with me again?  The day of my D and C we went out...yes, I had just had surgery to rip my child from my womb and THAT EVENING I went caching.  I had to get out.  Landon had given her the name Vanessa while I was put under because it means "Butterfly".  That evening he found a butterfly clip thing in a cache...he brought it to me and I bawled.  It has gone with me to each and every cache since then...But the stone...I could make a stone, with her name all pretty and take pictures of that at the caches we find....Nessa may no longer be able to physically cache with us, but our butterfly clip proves that she is still there.  Even the day that she physically left us we were given that reminder.

So why not just take pictures of the butterfly?  Quite frankly it's ugly and had it been of anything else I would have dropped it in the next cache we found, but I cant help but associate butterfly's with Nessa and I just cant drop the dumb thing.  The stone would be so much prettier!  It would do her some justice.

3 comments:

KnottedFingers said...

Another thing you could do is release a travgel bug in her memory ;-)

That's what I did. Although my Ko Paikea is currently missing. If I had the money I'd release a new one. You can see my memorial bug's travels here

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=2804763d-067a-4b63-9854-442a49324f8f

I'd released Ko Paikea my TB with a butterfly keychain. I really hope I can get a new one soon or that someone finds mine

Holly said...

I think that's a great idea!!!

Betty said...

OMG. Someone else in the world geocaches! Too cool! LoL!! We thought about doing a TB and I would still like to. It really is a great idea...you can track em and see where all the lil one goes! I'm going to check yours now! So aweful that it's disappeared! How aweful!

Post a Comment

Listen to MamaJax2010s Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones