Sunday, October 24, 2010

Day 24

Where you live

I live across the street from my old high school, across the yard from my son's elementary school, and we are surrounded by either family or corn.  My aunt is one house north of us, the schools are to the east, grandma is two houses south, and this year we were blessed to have a corn a field to our west.  Next year it will be wheat and soybeans.  I've lived on this property since the day I was born.  My dad grew up next door, where his sister now lives.  I feel guilty most days for wanting to leave this place, but there just isnt much as far as jobs in the area.  In the fall we have the prettiest leaves, in the summer and spring all the storms pass us, and in the winter....well, that's an exception.  It's northern Ohio.
I live in a place where the graduating classes are HUGE if they top 70 and you know EVERYONE, their relatives, and ever scandal to the county line.  It's the type of place that everyone wants to live in, but all the kids move out before their graduation caps even hit the ground.  They come back when they want to have a family of their  own.  We have the type of school that everyone dreams of sending their kids too...the type of place where you know your neighbors.  Yes, we are all dirt poor, but we have each other.  I doubt anyone but the dr's make over $65,000 a year.
In the summer we get the rich aroma from the hog farm over on Lower Leesville Rd.  In the fall all the farmers spray the fields down with cow manure (including the one behind the house), in the winter you are lucky to get out of the drive....and it's not unheard of to not go back to school after Christmas until February.  In the spring everything is new and fresh, and the lilacs by the mail box smell up the whole street.  Summer brings with it heat and humidity, but we rarely complain because we know what lies just around the corner.


 Raking leaves last fall for Luke.

 Playing in the snow making Angels

 My grandparents this summer...we were camping out that night.


Luke and Landon with the campsite this year.  We try to camp out once a year at least.
 Luke and one of our old cats in the back yard a few years ago...it had been corn the previous year as well :)
Our campsite from two years ago.  Our garage and house in the back ground...my aunt's is the tan one on back with the green shutters.

2 comments:

Holly said...

I so relate to the area you live! But I've always loved small town/country living.

Mom Jackson said...

It's nice to raise your children where they can walk to and from school or to a neighbors house. I know people always wonder about what it is like in the city but if you were raised small town it is hard to get it out of your heart.

Post a Comment

Listen to MamaJax2010s Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones